Monday, May 18, 2009

What Gobles Gobble.... Hot slaw


Ok so mine doesn't really look like this but its delicious... And its my grandma's recipe :) When i first got to Texas I heard talk about this Hot slaw stuff but I had never eaten it... I didn't think... The first time we made it my grandma came into the kitchen and sat on her walker and talked me through it.. She taught me to make Hot slaw her way... My Aunt Lil said it was the first time Grandma had come into the kitchen since she'd moved to Texas... I'm just thankful she got to teach me... Its a memory I'll always treasure! I remembered eating hot slaw in the first few bites... a distant memory being 4 yrs old at my grandma's old old house in Winnemucca probably kicking my feet under the table... My grandma missed cooking the most she said it was one of the things she dreamt about doing... I could imagine that...I know if after spending 70 some years cooking every day feeding myself my family I would feel like something vital had been taken away from me to not be able to stand and a stove and stir... I tried to do "cooking activites" with her we made apple pie once it was super yummy... but Hot slaw in its simplicity will forever be a favorite quick easy side dish that makes me think of her... It also lends itself very well to exotic variations as Steve and I found out....

Grandma Elwell's Hot Slaw

1 head of Green Cabbage, julienned
1 stick of butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/4c Apple Cider or Rice Wine Vinegar
season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder

In a big frying pan melt the butter down over high heat until its browned watch closely so it doesn't burn. Once its browned and frothy dump in the cabbage and toss you're going to wilt the cabbage and brown it. Cook the cabbage to the desired done-ness. My grandma liked to flash fry it in a hot ban brown it up let the heat kiss the cabbage and finish it off I cook it down some more so the stalkier bits of cabbage still have some crunch but the leafier parts get soft and tender. Pour the egg over the cabbage and toss until the egg is cooked it will look like little bits of scrambled egg clinging to the cabbage. then just before you turn off the heat pour the vinegar over the whole pan and stir to combine. Eat and enjoy... I'm sure you could cut back on the butter and replace it with a healthier fat like olive oil or go 50/50 I think the trick would be to not add the olive oil until the butter browned... Try it i hope you liked it....When you're proficient with this try adding some ground pork fresh garlic ginger green onion soy sauce and wrap it in gyoza for delicious potstickers!!

No comments: