Sunday, August 9, 2009

Goble's Gobble... A cooking day...

Occasionally it happens I get ambitious and the desire to bake comes upon me and I end the day with aching feet and a tiny kitchen overwhelmed with food. I'd talked all week about finally using up the bananas in my freezer and Steve wanted his Dad's no-bake cookies... (OK I did too) We also decided our freezer was getting kind of empty... I don't know how we possibly thought that but we did... So it was decided I would make corn chowder for dinner Sunday night. (technically I was supposed to make bread and cookies yesterday but um yeah we were missing a few key ingredients... like flour and eggs... )
With a trip to the store after church we were ready and all in all despite a few mishaps... like accidentally putting 1 cup of sugar in the soup pot instead of the bread bowl and the amazing exploding cocoa powder we've come through unscathed with delicious treats and eats for the next few months. (Have I ever mentioned my penchant for cooking one meal that feeds us over and over again? another blog perhaps...)
~On Corn chowder... I love this sweet savory soup we added some green chili sauce which gives it a southwest flavor and some smoky bacon... super yummy! We also managed to hide the fact that it contains an uncalled for cup of sugar... in fact you'd never know... Way to go cooking pro!
~On banana bread... Oh I love this stuff so much... I can only get away with making it every few months. Steve and banana's have a love/hate relationship but to me banana's are like the king of fruit! When its slathered with butter I can't think of a better breakfast!

~On No-Bake cookies... There's a dozen varieties out there these are probably pretty common peanut buttery chocolate with oatmeal. They're almost like eating Candy except well oatmeal is good for you right :)

I could give you the recipe for all 3 but... well then this blog would be way too long and I technically made up the corn chowder as I went along... so... here's a Goble family favorite...

No-Bake Cookies
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
Preparation:
In large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, cocoa, salt, and butter and mix well. Bring to a boil and cover saucepan for 30 seconds to allow steam to wash sugar crystals down sides of pan. Stir mixture and bring it to a boil that can't be stirred down for 1 minute. Then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth. Add oatmeal and mix well. Do not use regular or instant oatmeal; quick-cooking oatmeal is essential to the success of this recipe.
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to let the oatmeal absorb some of the liquid.
Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto waxed paper or parchment lined baking sheets. Let cool until you can touch the mixture; then reshape the cookies to make them more a ball shape. Let cool completely; store at room temperature. You can also pour this mixture into a 9" square pan that has been greased with unsalted butter, let cool, then cut into squares.

1 comment:

Charel said...

will u give mom some cookies in the morning along with the banana bread?? oatmeal=more milk for your nephew plus charel has a sweet tooth =] o and we forgot the outfit u bought zaiah at your house