Thursday, February 19, 2009

Just Dea-sserts


This one is for you Jess... :)

It happens sometimes the evening is wearing on but its not quite bedtime yet dinner is a delicious but faded memory you're enjoying your night time routine and you want dessert...This usually happens when we'recuddling up on the couch watching TV or playing Animal Crossing... Sometimes I'll crochet. Now in all honesty our go to dessert is a cake or brownie mix... who objects to a house filled with the smell of gooey chocolate brownies not me that's for sure. I will put aside all of my snobby foodie airs and admit I love the simplicity of a brownie mix...(I do hate that we can eat a whole pan in a day so I try to avoid this) Sometimes its fun to make something not chocolaty ( can't say why really but sometimes...) So I picked this up from my Aunt Lillian in Texas... I'm not really sure what to call it...

Fruit and dumplings or Stove-Top Cobbler...

Ingredients:
1 29 oz can sliced Peaches in heavy syrup (you could use other fruit I just haven't)
Cinnamon and Nutmeg to taste I'd say 1/2 tsp of each would be a good guesstimate
1 cup + 2 Tbsp Bisquick
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/3 cup milk
whipped cream/ice cream on top... if you like...

Pour the fruit into a pot (that has a lid) and add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste you can also add sugar or some butter if you like make it taste like peach pie... bring it to a boil. While that's cooking combine the Bisquick, milk, sugar, vanilla and more cinnamon and nutmeg. It should form a thick paste-like dough ( this is really simple on the fly. I just cut the dumpling recipe on the Bisquick box in half and add sugar and spices) Drop spoonfuls of the dough into the boiling fruit turn the heat down to medium. DON'T STIR!!! Put the lid on and cook for 5 min or so... Spoon into bowls and serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

serves 2-4 and I bet leftovers would be great the next morning for breakfast! Ours never last that long... :)

No comments: